Site Counter


View My Stats

Wednesday, May 19, 2010

I HAVE NEVER TOLD ANYONE TO DO ANYTHING BUT I AM GOING TO NOW



For those of you who work with children this is a must read:
You have to watch this. I'm not giving you a choice. Watch this and marvel at the world so many of us grew up in thanks to people like Fred Rogers. Do our kids get this today? 'Mr. Rogers Defends PBS to the US Senate'

In 1969, Fred Rogers appeared before the United States Senate Subcommittee on Communications. His goal was to support funding for PBS and the Corporation for Public Broadcasting, in response to significant proposed cuts by President Nixon.

If you get a chance, check out the WQED documentary "Fred Rogers: America's Favorite Neighbor" from 2003. (they have plenty of copies in most all library systems, if you haven't seen it.) It's hosted by Michael Keaton, who got his start performing on the show, and it highlights what an amazing man he was.This clip is included, as well as his induction into the TV Hall of Fame, which is one of the most touching moments ever filmed.

--I just checked in my own (Ft Lauderdale, FL) library system, and they've got a copy of the DVD. I'll be watching it this weekend. And I'll probably get all teared up.

I work with the children in my neighborhood and thanks to Mr. Rogers he has opened many new windows, windows that would not have been opened had it not been for him. Watch this tape for memories of a time that was taken away from us once Mr. Rogers began sharing his magic world with the angels. Many of Mr. Rogers ideals have been incorporated into what I try to teach the kids in storytime I do with the children.

Also go to youtube and watch what it has to offer...

Please after reading this, go directly to your own library and request a copy The Mr. Rogers Doc.'America's Favorite Neighbor'aired on WQED...Please share with us here what you havegotten from this documentary I know others would want to hear it as well.

No comments: