Site Counter


View My Stats

Monday, February 16, 2009

SMITH AND JONES A VENTRILOQUIST ACT FROM

Hello N Jay, and thanks for asking for my vent bio. I'm Jimmy Smith from Springfield, Missouri. I became interested in ventriloquism as a kid in the late 60's and early 70's. I loved watching vents like Edgar Bergen, Paul Winchell & Jimmy Nelson on television in those days. And my parents gave me Charlie McCarthy & Danny O'Day dolls for Christmas to get me started in vent. I stayed active with ventriloquism until about the age of 12 or 13 years old, then gave it up for music & dirtbikes in my teens.
But sometime in the early 90's I saw a biography of Edgar Bergen. And since Edgar has always been my favorite vent, it inspired me to take up ventriloquism again. So I purchased my first pro figure, and learned the art all over again with the help of books & videotapes from the local library. I've always loved being around senior citizens, and started performing an act at local nursing homes. Over the years, I purchased a couple different figures (but I still call them "dummies"), until I came across my current little wooden partner, Harry Jones.
Together, Harry & I formed the act called Smith & Jones. It can best be described as a throwback to 40's and 50's era ventriloquism. We are semi regulars at a couple of local music theaters, several nursing homes and assisted living centers, senior clubs and any place else seniors gather in the southwest Missouri area. And we have the time of our lives doing it!
Who knows what the future has in store for us, but I thank God for the opportunity to perform for the great audiences around this part of the country. If you'd like to check it out, you can see pictures and a short video of us at our My Space page, http://www.myspace.com/smithandjonesvent

Thank you for submitting your bio my readers will enjoy the story, but there is so much more to fill in and I know that when you think of it you will come back to add the missing pieces. Tell us more about your senior programs and kidshows what are some of the way you prepapre for them, what are some of your jokes or a short skit. Who taught you vent, who were you later inspirations, who have you opened with, ect.?
N J
N J

No comments: